Saturday, June 27, 2009

Homeschool Down Time

I'm finally at that point in the year when summer is upon us and yard work is a must. The sunny days beacon me to take the boys out for exercise and fresh air and fun. It is also a time I love to get back into shape again after a long cold winter.

One thing about getting older is that I never expected to get stiffer but stretching is a definite necessity or I pay for it. As a mom, wife, homemaker, and teacher I constantly have to remind myself to put myself at the top of the priority list. It is one thing to be sure to make time to spend listening to what the Lord has to say to me today, it's another thing to make time for myself. I feel as nurturers, mothers are just too busy taking care of everyone else.

I am trying to use the day that God gave Isreal, the Sabbath, to spend more down-time and really call it a delight. I really need this time to rest from running around doing errands and just enjoy the day as it is meant to be enjoyed. I use to try to make every day the same but for me it is just not working. I really need one day to know that this is the down day for me and so I will use this day and call it a delight.

As for teaching the boys, we are using hot afternoons of the summer for indoor study such as math, language and science. It's unscheduled and relaxed. Just the way summer should be. I don't know how homeschoolers schedule when every season is sunny and warm but that's the way we do it in the North country.

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey