Thursday, June 23, 2011

Keeping Hydrated in the Summer

One of the challenges I find when gardening and being out in the summer heat, is keeping well hydrated. Another challenge is to replace the electrolytes that have been lost from sweating. Sometimes I just come in the house from gardening and pop under my tongue a natural sea salt crystal or two, let it melt and then drink water. I don't do well on sugar so drinks like gatorade would not do it for me at all.

Another great concoction is put together by my ND at her website here. She illustrates how to put together a drink to restore electrolyte balance. It includes the following ingredients:

1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbl. agave nectar (or maple syrup or honey)
juice of half a lemon
1L water

you can add a bit of a berry concentrate at the end to taste but it's not necessary.

I have to admit that I haven't tried this yet but it does look tasty.

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey